Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Simplifying Christmas

Have you checked out MOPS.org lately? If you haven't, take a minute to hop over there…

Yesterday's blog post was entitled "Simplifying the Holiday Season." In it, Naomi Cramer Overton claims the following ideas to help her simplify during December:

1. Give some gifts early

2. Wrap gifts earlier

3. Keep Jesus at the forefront

4. Set a budget

5. Help kids learn about giving

6. Save husband/wife time

7. Get rid of things that no longer fit

What do you think? What do you do to simplify during this time of year? How do you keep your stress down and your joy up? How do you celebrate Jesus? 

Here are a few of my thoughts. Take them or leave them. :) Please leave your thoughts in our Comments…

The "get rid of things that no longer fit" rule is helpful. I've been sorting and giving away or throwing away a lot lately - and it makes me feel free. Free from stuff, free from clutter, free from expectations I've held too long. It also has reminded me how much more fun it is to give than to receive - and I think it is rubbing off on my kids. And now, as a family, we are much more centered upon what we might need versus what we want. It has changed our Christmas lists dramatically.

We are also involving our children in the gift process this year - in the planning and purchasing for friends, neighbors and family. Wrapping doesn't have to look perfect; it's okay to let that be a kid-job, they love it!

The biggest thing I'm doing to keep things simple is this: taking lots of deep breaths. Both figuratively and literally. I'm committed to spending time with Jesus and allowing Him to direct our family as we spend our time and our money. I'm also committed to drinking a lot of hot tea (or apple cider) while sitting quietly and taking huge gulps of oxygen.

No comments:

Post a Comment