Monday, March 24, 2014

Abundance Misunderstood

Abundance:
noun
1. an extremely plentiful or oversufficient quantity or supply: an abundance of grain.

2. overflowing fullness: abundance of the heart.

3. affluence; wealth: the enjoyment of abundance.


Today I dropped my oldest two daughters off at school and then ran back home to get their winter coats.  I had sent them to school not realizing the bitter cold of the wind chill factor.  I took my third homebody daughter to preschool with a heavy heart, stopped by a nearby school to talk to a teacher there about another daughter, and then drove across town to deliver the winter items at my girls’ school.  I found myself back at home with breakfast dishes still on the table, a toddler still in her jammies, and several phone calls to make in the half hour before I had to leave to pick up my preschooler just before lunch.  It seemed like I was doing a lot of things without accomplishing much.

This time of year when we hear so much about abundance, I wonder if the above sentiment is reflective of our society.  As a society, we do a lot of things and have a lot of stuff, but are we accomplishing anything?  We have an abundance of information.  A quick check of the parenting section of any bookstore will attest to this.  We have an abundance of activity.  My barely 8 year-old can be enrolled in swimming, soccer, ice-skating, basketball, 4-H, dance, Girl Scouts, church activities, art classes, singing groups, student council, and the list goes on.  And that’s in rural Sheridan!  Not to mention what my other daughters and their parents could be involved in!  We have an abundance  of material goods.  Not too long ago, a major department store was in the news for destroying clothing that didn’t sell and throwing it away instead of donating it to charity.  I frequent garage sales, and it seems clear that most people have STUFF they want to get rid of—often pretty nice stuff that they or their kids have simply grown tired of.  My husband and I often imagine what Laura Ingalls Wilder’s mother would do if she could walk into any one of our houses and turn on the faucet or flip on a light switch or take a picture or have a machine do her clothes washing, or. . . .  Is there more to abundance than what Webster’s calls “an ample or overflowing quantity”?  Are we missing something?

In asking these questions, I turn my mind back to Christmas vacation last year.  The kids were home from school for two long weeks with plenty of snow outside, and we had a GREAT time.  I hated for school to start again!  We played games (the out-of-town cousins taught our 5 year-old and 7 year-old how to play chess); we sledded outside and generally got covered in the white stuff; we had family movie nights; we drove around and looked at Christmas lights; we READ; we went for walks and threw snowballs; we cooked and cleaned and talked and played.  We didn’t do much, and we didn’t accomplish much.  Or did we?  We had few, if any, scheduled activities and enjoyed mostly unstructured time together.  We didn’t spend much money and yet nobody was complaining.  We didn’t make any grand plans and yet that time holds some of our fondest memories.  Why?

I found part of the answer in dictionary.com’s definition of abundance.  It is “overflowing fullness:  abundance of the heart; affluence; wealth:  the enjoyment of abundance.”  Ah, the enjoyment of abundance.  Not the stressed-out complaining I do in my mind about my abundance of things to do, places to go, projects to complete, etc.  Not the burden of accumulating so many possessions that my possessions end up possessing me and my time!  Not the distracting (though often fun) abundance of e-mails, voicemails, text messages, and snail mail.  No, this kind of abundance enjoys itself.  To say it differently, if the abundance leaves me too frazzled to enjoy it, then perhaps it is not abundance at all!  It is interesting to note at this point that God Himself created us for (and provides) this most satisfying kind of abundance.  The Bible says in John 10:10, “The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.”  I want to identify those “thieves” of busyness in my life that are stealing precious time with my family and destroying opportunities for family growth.  I want to go to the God of Abundance for direction in this endeavor of parenting.

So, where do we find this God-given abundance that we can enjoy?  What do we have an abundance of, as mothers of young children, that we can both enjoy and use to accomplish something?  I think the answer is opportunities.  We have endless opportunities to love, teach, train, enjoy, celebrate, and pray for our children!  The balance lies in leaving enough room in our schedules to take advantage of these opportunities.  My father-in-law says that we will never have quality time with our kids if we don’t have quantity time with them.  We can’t force quality time in one hour every other Saturday morning.  So, in this season of misunderstood abundance, we at the Hoffmann house are asking some tough, out-of-the-box questions. . . .  Does our 4 year-old really need two years of preschool—or even one?  Should we allow our 8 year-old to enroll in more than one activity outside of school?  Will we allow our kids to go to birthday parties on Sundays, since this has traditionally been our “family day”?  How many Christmas presents do our kids really need?  How can we encourage them to give away some of their things—and what excesses do we have ourselves?  Should we really get that second television?  What kind of responsibilities do I have outside my home that are not necessary or healthy at this stage of our family’s life?  Can I let someone else do these jobs while I nurture my small children and then jump back into them when everyone is in school?  Am I running my children all over town for things that could just as easily (and probably more lovingly) be taught at home?  Should we maintain our facebook page or let it go?  (NOW I’m talking crazy!)

I am not completely against activities for my small children or the chance to develop some of my own relationships and interests during this busy stage of life, but at the end of the day I want to be able to say that, as a stay-at-home mom, I connected with each one of my kids in some kind of meaningful way.  If my life does not currently allow for that, I must re-evaluate.  I want to be able to do less and accomplish more.  I want to experience life “more abundantly.”  And it would be a bonus if those breakfast dishes got cleared off the table before lunch.


To see what God says on the topic of abundance, go to www.biblegateway.com and type in the word “abundantly” or “abundance” in the search bar.

- Robin Hoffmann, MOPS Cordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment