Friday, January 24, 2014

Peace Like A River

Isaiah 48:17-18
Thus says the Lord,
    your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
“I am the Lord your God,
    who teaches you to profit,
    who leads you in the way you should go.
Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments!
    Then your peace would have been like a river,
    and your righteousness like the waves of the sea;”

Last fall, I encountered the peace and joyful abundance of complete obedience to our Lord, Jesus Christ. It was a miraculous, awesome, exciting time. Afterward, His peace continued and I was amazed by the change I felt in my life and reactions. At least, for a little while… despite my best intentions, I stepped out of the river of peace and back onto the riverbank. I chose stress and anxiety instead of peace.

This is not a perfect story – in fact, it was starting to feel like a very sad story for a while – but now I believe it is a story of redemption. It is my story, the story of today, the place where Christ and I walk together at present. Our MOPS theme asks us to “embrace your story,” so I will right now – and I choose to be faithful to the Holy One who is big enough to change our stories, ways and hearts.

Way back, in December of 2012, God asked me to serve Him by playing music in association with an adoption benefit. He helped me leap over hurdles in lack of confidence, disbelief in administrative skills, discomfort in leadership. He pressed onto my heart a real, deep concern for friends and acquaintances that were obeying His call to adopt. He gave me music, excitement and incredible support. And then, he blessed the efforts of all those involved! He astounded us with His power, might and provision.

It happened like this:

When I finally stepped into true obedience (after many months, weeks, days and hours of prayer from myself and others) and sent out the message of my (God’s!) intention to hold an Adoption Benefit Concert, I received an email providing a free venue within 1 hour. Volunteers willing to help with the planning and organization popped up within 2 days. Musicians desiring to offer their talents surfaced steadily for 2 months.

Everywhere our team went, we were met with confirmation. We knew God’s hand was present. We saw greater and greater need for support of adoptive families in Sheridan. We found our efforts productive rather than frustrated and discovered more and more people willing to help, serve and pray over our event.

The end result? Despite months, days, hours of work, I rested in the supportive arms of our God. I felt alive, able and successful. My fears and doubts were replaced with complete reliance upon the abilities of God. I rested in a river of peace.

The day of the concert things began to fall apart. But, Jesus remained steadfastly on our side. He poured his spirit of peace upon us and we were able to continue without stress, without worry – knowing we were doing God’s will, God’s work. We understood with full confidence that as long as we remained in obedience to Him all would work out as He intended. It was in His hands. And we left it there.

The reward? Peace. And incredible amazement. “Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20-21)” God led us in opening a fund to support adoptive families. He pieced together an event. He brought out generous giving. He taught me to never underestimate His provision, His might, His abundance.

In awe and gratitude, my autumn was framed in obedience. I thankfully allowed God to stretch, grow and change me. I rested in His peace that “passes all understanding (Philippians 4:7).” The lessons I began to learn spread themselves to other parts of my life, other places where I had previously refused to surrender control.

I realized my family is not mine. My family is God’s. I cannot protect my children 100%; I have to trust God for that.

God showed me how my anxiety regarding my husband’s safety while he’s elk hunting changes nothing. Giving God my worries, allowing Him to hold my husband – as He always has and always will – and the rest of us while Daddy’s away, that’s the only way. It provided me freedom and a strong sense of peace. I was able to sleep soundly and comfortably while my husband was gone.

And then…

December hit and I grabbed ahold of stress, worry and anxiety again. With fervor. With passion. To the detriment of my family, my mental health, my relationship with God, my relations with friends, and my enjoyment of the holiday season. Peace disappeared. Patience evaporated. And then the struggle began…

And continued…

And continues. I simply returned to old habits, old ways of doing things, my “tried and true” sort of lifestyle. Except this old stuff isn’t better! And I know that with certainty now.

“So?” you say. “What now?”

And my only answer is this:

“Dear Lord Jesus, thank you for all the ways you’ve surprised me with provision. Thank you for showing me a better way. You have promised to never take away your covenant of peace (Isaiah 54:10). Please forgive me for failing to come to you with all my anxieties, for trying to make it once again on my own. I cannot do this life-thing alone! Please lead and guide me once more in the way of peace. May I rest in your great river. Amen.”


Ladies, what is your story? What is God doing in your heart and life today? Are you ready to share it?


- Bethany Tippin, Publicity Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment