Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thursday Thoughts with Theresa: Getting Creative With Your Preschooler

My five­year­old reminded me last night how important it is to laugh with our children. We had an exchange that was funny, as I was tucking him into bed, and we laughed. Then he said, “Let’s do that again. Say something funny.” So we exchanged a few more silly statements, laughed out loud, then said goodnight.

Andrew is one of my middle children, very animated and a conversationalist. He loves talking
with people. He’s also my early riser, so the next morning we sat alone on the couch together, visited and read a book about a boy, his teddy and his dog, together. The story reminded me very much of Andrew himself. And so I thought out loud, “We could write a story about you, your thumb and your blankie! He liked that.


So I retrieved the paper and pencil and he dictated just what it should say, as I prompted him along, “Then what happened?” and recorded it.

Finally, we got to the point where I asked how it should end. I had my idea and he had a completely opposite one. So I thought out loud, “Let’s record my ending and your ending and make it like the “choose your own adventure” stories like Robby is reading (his almost ten­year­old brother).

And so we did. Then I read it out loud, altering the endings. And then we laughed and laughed and laughed.

Maybe it was the sweet moment where you just had to be there, but I’ve shared it here for you.

Enjoy this very honest story and hilarious ending, when you think of my son reading this in ten years. 

Oh yes, we will illustrate and bind this one!


The Boy and His Blankie
{a “choose your own ending,” story}

Once upon a time, there was a boy, his thumb and his green blankie.

The boy’s name was Andrew and he loved to sniff his blankie while he sucked his thumb. When he was five, he was still sniffing his blankie and his dad didn’t want him to anymore. So his dad tried to take it away.


But his dad couldn’t get it because Andrew was always holding it.


He held it in bed.


He held it in the car.


He held it on the couch.


He held it everywhere he went.


Then one day, Andrew lost his blankie.


And Andrew went to sleep that night without his blankie.


And the next night.


And the next night.


And the next night…


[Mom’s ending]
...And the next night.


Until Andrew realized he didn’t need his blankie anymore.


The End


[Andrew’s ending]
...And the next night.


Until he found it!!!

Now he still sniffs his blankie and sucks his thumb at fifteen.


The End 

- Theresa Miller, MOPS Mom



Theresa is a wife and mother of four children (3, 5, 7, and 9), who are embarking on their first year of homeschooling. Theresa has been involved in Sheridan MOPS for the last 9 ½ years, serving in multiple leadership positions, including Day MOPS Coordinator in 2007-2008. She took one year off, then started the Sheridan Evening MOPS group in September 2009. Theresa has published an article with MOPS International MOMSnext Ezine, in addition to other on-line publications. You can find Theresa encouraging mothers on her blog, Heavenly Glimpses.

No comments:

Post a Comment