Thursday, September 19, 2013

Daring Dress Up

So here's another conversation spin-off from the good ol' MOPS International website...

Here's the original article: http://www.mops.org/the-princess-fairy-unicorn.

This blog post talks about parents who allow their kiddos to wear costumes outside their homes. You know, to the grocery store, in restaurants, to church. Do y'all allow that?

Here's my take. My kids do get to wear costumes out and about. Because, like Gabby - the MOPS blogger mom, I realize my kiddos are only going to be preschoolers for a little while. They will only want to wear costumes for a tiny little bit longer. Soon will come peer pressure and the desire to look and act like everyone else in order to fit in. I'll take this little bit of joy while I get it.

Personally, I love the fact that my kids are excited about their imaginary worlds. I smile with wonder every time my son tells us a goofy story straight from his newly emergent creative brain. I'm happy they are so proud of the flimsy paper crowns we've just made that they want to wear them all day long. I giggle with glee as the "dinosaur" in my shopping cart "roars" out greetings to everyone we meet.

So, have you ever taken your kids to Walmart wearing a crown? Or dressed as a dinosaur? Or wielding an axe while wearing a fire helmet? Seriously. Do it! And then, watch all the reactions they get. It will be the most entertaining grocery trip you've ever experienced. There is something about children's creativity and joy that opens people - it brings them out of their shells and helps us all interact. And once interaction starts, community emerges. This simple stuff - it brings us together. Plus, there is something about wheeling a princess and a race car driver down the aisles that keeps me from taking my life too seriously. And I need every reminder of that little truth I can possibly get!

Bethany Tippin - Publicity Coordinator



  • Do you let your kids dress themselves before going into public?
  • Do you allow costumes outside your home?
  • Do your kids want to dress up?
  • Once you do take a "character" into a public space, what kind of reactions do you get?
  • Any other thoughts on how to keep our kiddos from being self-conscious for as long as possible?
  • Any other creativity-boosting, imagination-strengthening activities your family allows that might be a bit outside-the-box?

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely, to the first three questions! Last week, my three-year-old daughter dressed herself - not dress-up on this occasion, but dressed herself - and I let her wear her backward jeans all day, to and fro activities because she was proud of her accomplishment and I was proud of her! :)

    ReplyDelete