Friday, October 18, 2013

Homemade Cleaners


Due to illness in our household, I was unable to share with y'all verbally regarding the packet of DIY cleaning supplies we handed out at the last MOPS meeting. Perhaps, in a way, this was a blessing because now you'll get it in written form. And, if you're anything like me these days, written form is always the preferred method. J

There are a few reasons we wanted to share cleaning “recipes.”

1. Our theme is connected with messes. Therefore, cleaning them up seemed like a good topic!

2. Making your own cleaning supplies saves a lot of money.

3. Homemade cleaning supplies are often less toxic than their store-bought alternatives & if your kids are anything like mine, they want to help. So, I’m all for less toxic!

4. The idea was thrown around during our planning meetings, that home-preserved foods are really good, inexpensive Christmas gifts. This idea led to a reminder that homemade cleaners could also be included in a cute, homemade gift basket. (This works especially well in the case of laundry detergent. Just find a cute jar or other container, fill, and decorate as desired.)

Now, I am not an expert in this field, but I do use many homemade cleaners. I have used many that are in your packet. But, not all of them. I am all for environmentally friendly, kid friendly, budget friendly – so I do what I can. But, I also am aware that making yet another item for your household can be overwhelming. There are certainly times when just getting the store-bought variety is all I can handle!

Here’s the encouragement, though: sometimes, it’s simply a change of habit that needs to happen. Sometimes, it’s just a change in our thinking.  And the blessing comes when simple changes bring great benefits.

Another important note: don’t decide all at once to revamp your household cleaning routine and products. Let change happen gradually, over time. Start with one product you’ve wanted to try – when your old cleaner runs out, perhaps. And when you feel ready, add another product.

When I talk about this as a benefit to our budget, this is what I mean:
            Washing soda - $3.24
            Borax - $3.38
            Fels Naptha (3 bars) - $5.97
            Baking Soda - $2.24

TOTAL: $14.83 + some time to grate, grind and mix (super easy, REALLY!) = one giant tub (think half a Homer’s Bucket) & you only use 1Tablespoon per laundry load…

Seriously, I think this has covered our family (4 + 2 pets & my son LOVES mud) for over 6 months. 6 months of laundry for just $15 makes me happy!

The packet you received is full of generic recipes. They are things I’ve found over the years in books, magazines and online. Most of them have been altered (as I’ve used them), and some are generalizations of several similar recipes reduced down to one. It is exciting to me to now have them all formatted similarly and put together in one place. Perhaps I’ll try something new this month, too!

If you were not at the meeting and would like a copy of the packet to which I’m referring, please email me at bethany.tippin@gmail.com.

Happy cleaning to you!

- Bethany Tippin, Publicity Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment