Monday, October 28, 2013

Nudges



Have you felt the nudge of God today? Did His quiet voice ask you to kneel before a small child, look into her face and really listen?

Photo by Bethany Tippin
Did the movement of the wind in the trees blow a neighbor into your thoughts? Did you choose to walk by and say, “Hello”?

Christa Tietjen Photography
Have you known you should STOP what you’re doing and bow your head? Did you do it?

Did your tears fall, unhindered, as Jesus revealed a broken, hurtful situation? And did you recognize those tears as prayer? Your care and concern as incense rising?

Did you obey?

I’m asking because I had a friend obey the Spirit’s nudge this morning. I had a friend listen and respond. I witnessed the power of God’s touch through the hands and feet of a human right here on earth, right here in Sheridan, right here in MOPS.

It was just a hug. And yet it was so much more. It was a hug with the words, “I just felt like I was supposed to hug you.” And do you know what those words said to me? “My friend is listening. Wow. She’s in tune with the Holy Spirit. Right now, here, she’s dwelling in God.”

And the hug? It said, “I love you. I know what you lack. I heard your prayer, I heard you state your need and I am providing.”

Because, last night I sent a text that said, “I just need a hug.” A text. Silly. But, a truth. A statement to myself and another that I had a need. And God heard me. He prompted another believer to serve me in love and to serve Him in obedience. The result: a moment of wonder, awe and glory.

Over the course of my life, I know I have heard God’s still, small voice many times. I wish I could say I’ve responded promptly in obedience every time. But I haven’t. These sweet, sweet moments, however, where someone else’s obedience magnifies the power of the Holy Spirit and touches me intimately, these moments push me forward, move me onward, make me want to do a better job. They make me believe I will take the next bold, silly or seemingly trivial step that presents itself, in obedience. They remind me that we can all be unlikely sources of God’s provision.

Christa Tietjen Photography
“Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to him be the glory in the church, and in Jesus Christ to all generations, forever and ever.” – Ephesians 3:20-21 (NRSV, emphasis added)

- Bethany Tippin, MOPS Mom & Publicity Leader






Bethany Tippin is a wife and mother of 2 children, ages 3 and 5. She is a musician, teacher and writer. She joined MOPS very soon after moving to Sheridan and regularly finds blessing in her participation. This, her 6th year, is her 1st year in a leadership role. Serving as the 2013-2014 Publicity steering member is a joy and a challenge. She is massively excited about all the ways Christ is evidently moving in her life and community!

3 comments:

  1. Bethany - You write like your Grandma and Mother! Blessings be upon you. Love, Gram BL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany - You write like your Grandma and Mother! Blessings be upon you. Love, Gram BL

    ReplyDelete