Friday, October 4, 2013

Me, Too

Mandy, at mops.org, shared a blog entitled, “Lady Parts and All Those Things I Haven’t Mastered Yet.” At the end of the post she said, “My one saving grace, the thing that keeps my head above water in the mom department are my friends. Especially the ones that say, “me too.” Friends who assure me that hiding in the bathroom to eat the last brownie without having to share, is something we've all done. Mom friends make you feel more competent, and like this whole adulthood thing is a little more do-able.

And, you know what, I started to cry. Because, yeah, that’s what mom-friends are for, and because MOPS has brought me a whole lot of them!

I sat with one of them this morning and got to listen to her concerns, laugh hysterically at our ridiculous children and take a turn sharing my own struggles. I had the privilege of fellowshipping with another woman on real terms, in real life and in real time. It wasn't a purely relaxing, uninterrupted visit. There were questions from tiny voices, screams from down the hallway and an indoor picnic spilled all over the floor. But, there was also true friendship and understanding, there were tangible acts of coming alongside one another and uplifting each other. There was encouragement and love.

Today was a day where things felt much bigger than simply not wanting to share the last brownie. It was a day where my confidence was low and my energy lagging. I was searching for redirection – and I found it. My friend totally and completely directed me back to the Center. She lovingly reminded me to refocus my eyes on Jesus, the great shepherd: who gently leads those that have young (Isaiah 40:11).

Friends, when we allow each other into our lives (the real, messy part of our lives) we open up a powerful space for Christ to use us and grow us. We become better moms, better friends and better women. I encourage you to reach out to one another this year. Forge friendships, make connections, find the places we can all say, “Me too.” 

- Bethany Tippin, Publicity Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment